How to Choose a Level 2 EV Charger for Your Home or Business ?While most people plug them into a standard wall outlet, that can take a long time to charge up your vehicle. If you want to charge it faster, you’ll need a level 2 EV charger.
Table of Contents
What is a level 2 EV charger?
A level 2 electric vehicle charger is a charging station designed to charge your electric car quickly.
It requires more power than a level 1 charger but can charge your car much faster. Most level 2 chargers plug into a standard wall outlet, and some are even portable.
You can find level 2 chargers at most EV charging stations, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
level 2 home EV charger
- If you’re looking for a level 2 EV charger for your home, there are a few things you should consider.
- First, decide how you want to install it. Most level 2 chargers plug into a standard wall outlet, but some are portable. It would help if you also considered how much power you need.
- Most level 2 chargers require between 16 and 25 amps of power. Finally, think about how often you plan to use it. If you plan to use your level 2 charger frequently, you may want to invest in an energy-star certified model.
How much does it cost to install a Level 2 home charger?
How much does it cost to install a level 2 home EV charger?
It is a question that many people have, and the answer can vary depending on the type of charger you choose.
A basic level 2 charger can cost anywhere from $200 to $1,000, but more high-end models can cost up to $5,000. Additionally, you may need to hire an electrician to install the charger for you, which can add another $100 to $300 to the total cost.
So, how much will it cost you to install a level 2 home EV charger? On average, expect to pay around $1,500.
Can I install a Level 2 charger at home by myself?
- Installing a level 2 charger at home by yourself is possible, but it’s not advisable. That’s because level 2 chargers are more extensive and complicated than level 1.
- Level 2 home EV charging stations have to be hard-wired to your home power supply (which makes them vulnerable to outside elements should the electrician fail for any reason).
- A level 2 charger features two plugs on one side and an outlet on the other that fits in with NEMA 14-50 type outlets, which are different from what most people have in their homes.
- The electrical connection has yet another cable that must measure 100 feet or less before it can install this outlet box inside your house (for safety reasons).
- So unless you’re a licensed electrician, level 2 charger installation beyond level 1 should be left to the professionals.
commercial level 2 EV charger
Commercial level 2 EV chargers are slightly different from residential level 2 EV chargers.
While both types of chargers require a level 2 electrical connection, retail level 2 EV chargers often have more than two plugs to charge more than one vehicle at a time.
They also typically have a longer cord to reach the nearest outlet, sometimes up to 100 feet. It makes them more convenient for businesses and other organizations that offer charging services to their employees or customers.
How much does installing a level 2 commercial EV charging station cost?
The cost to install a commercial level 2 EV charging station can vary depending on the type of station and the company you work with. However, most level 2 EV chargers range in price from $1,000 to $5,000.
It’s essential to keep in mind that this is just the cost of the charger itself – additional costs will likely be incurred for installation and electricity.
Another thing to consider when installing a commercial level 2 EV charging station is the location. The station should be placed in an area that is easily accessible for drivers. It’s also essential to make sure the charger is close to an outlet so that the cord can reach it.
Is a Level 2 charger worth it?
Yes, Level 2 chargers are more expensive and complicated to install than Level 1 chargers, so if you don’t need the extra power or convenience, then a level 1 charger may be a better option for you.
However, if you have a more prominent family or regularly have multiple cars charging simultaneously, a level 2 charger can be an excellent investment.
It’s essential to remember that while level 2 chargers are more expensive, they also charge your car faster than level 1 chargers.
Benefits of Level 2 EV charger
Level 2 EV chargers offer many benefits for drivers and businesses alike. Some of the key benefits include:
- Faster Charging – level 2 chargers can charge your car up to 10 times more immediate than level 1 chargers. It makes them an excellent option for busy drivers who need to recharge their vehicles quickly.
- More Convenient – level 2 EV chargers have multiple plugs, which allows drivers to charge more than one car at a time. They also typically have a longer cord, making them more convenient to use.
- More accessible to Use – level 2 EV chargers are typically more straightforward to use than level 1 chargers. They come with an easy-to-use display screen showing how much power you are using and how much is left in the battery.
Is Level 2 charging AC or DC?
Level 2 charging is typically AC, though some level 2 chargers are DC. AC level 2 chargers are more common and are the type most people will use in their homes. They are easier to use and have a longer cord, making them more convenient to install.
What is the difference between Level 1 and Level 2 charging stations?
Level 1 charging stations are typically less expensive and easier to install than level 2. They use a standard 110-volt outlet, which most people have in their homes, and can charge a car’s battery in 8-10 hours.
Level 2 charging stations require a level 2 electrical connection and charge a car’s battery in 3-4 hours. They come with multiple plugs, making them more convenient for drivers who need to set more than one car at a time and have a longer cord, sometimes up to 100 feet, making them more convenient to use. Additionally, level 2 chargers offer faster charging times than level 1 chargers.
Level 2 chargers come in a variety of power outputs so that they can fit with your needs, whether it’s for faster charging times or multiple cars needing to be charged at once. It’s essential to consider the level of electricity needed and the outlet availability when deciding on what type of level 2 EV car charger would work best for your home or business! Let our team know if we can help provide any insight into finding the right level ev car adapter for your specific needs by contacting us.
Start your EV charging Business with Evcnice today
Simply fill out your details and we’ll give you a call to discuss the right EV chargers for your charging needs.